What a Year it’s Been!
From the pace at which The Song Shul has been growing, you would never believe that it’s only been a year!
Scroll through the boxes below to see what we’ve been doing…
Guest Speaker Hall of Fame 2016-2017
Thanks to all of our fantastic guest speakers who spoke at The Song Shul services this past year!
Israel Consul General
Author and Award-Winning Journalist
TV Host, Documentary Producer and Author
Author and Founder of Jacobs’ Ladder
Toronto Sun, Editor Emeritus
Author of Breakdown: The Inside Story of the Rise and Fall of Heenan Blaikie
Palliative care physician, Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care
Political Scientist and International Relations Expert
The Sports Network’s Hockey and Tennis reporter
In addition to consistently attracting 350-450 people to each and every Shabbat and Festival service, The Song Shul has enjoyed:
- Making Canadian history with the live Zoomer radio broadcast of Slichot
- Our first graduates of the Yad Squad Torah reading classes
- A vibrant and ever-growing Ladies Rosh Chodesh group
- Our lively and friendly “Hebrew News & Shmooze” for people who love to speak Hebrew
- The first B’nai Mitzvah students beginning the Song Shul’s amazing Bar/Bat-Mitzvah program in anticipation of their smachot this coming year
- The rocking’est interactive Purim Megillah ever
- A most unique Shavuot experience, bringing to life Megillat Ruth
- Student Advisory Committee—teens giving ideas, serving as greeters and helping us create THEIR shul
- “Uptown Sound” concert—a standing-room-only performance by our fun-loving group of amateur singing stars
- 100 Years of Jewish Hollywood—The Song Shul’s first fundraiser (and FUNraiser!), entertaining a sold-out house at the Toronto Centre for the Arts with the musical event of the year!
Our Shabbat music has run the gamut from the sublime to the whimsical, including…
Chassidic Sounds of Eastern Europe
Cottage country send-off
Summer camp send-off
Droves of truly happy children have participated in our Music-Miniyan and Torah Bubble Parade, and have sat quietly throughout our services at the Shabbat Sticker Station, enjoying the music with their parents. And they can’t wait to come back again!
Our kiddushim have celebrated birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, new babies and have commemorated yahrzeits. Life cycle events are alive and well at The Song Shul.
And we’re just getting started!
Become a member in 2017-2018 and be a part of the magic!
New! Coming up in 2017-18
- Lively Learning with Cantor Spiro—a unique look at the Parshah
- Downtown Sound Children’s Choir
- Choir for People with Disabilities
- The Alef-Bet Challenge (everyone can learn to read Hebrew this year!)
- Our long-awaited Musical Service of Healing
- Concerts and musical events large and small!